Sunday, September 11, 2011

     A few days ago, while rushing to get kids ready for school, I heard a scuffle in the kitchen.  My 8-yr-old called for help.  "Mom, [my 2 yr-old sister] is trying to push me off my chair!" 
     I called my daughter's name, and she stopped and looked at me.  For some reason, fully believing in her innocence, I assumed she was merely hungry and trying to steal his breakfast.
     "Do you want some cereal?" I asked.
     "No."
     "Do you want some yogurt?"
     "No, fank you."  (She still has trouble pronouncing this phrase correctly, but she says it very sweetly.)
     "Do you just want to push [your brother] off his chair?"
     With a smile that seemed to say, "I'm so glad you understand!" she replied, "Yes!"
     Me: "No!  You may not push your brother off the chair!"
     My sweet little 2-yr-old in her most innocent voice and with an incredibly angelic smile on her face, lifted her foot to the height of my son's head and said, "Kick?"
     Now, the real questions is this: Is she trying to be funny, or does she really believe I might actually say, "Yeah, go ahead.  Kick your brother in the head.  He probably deserves it!"  And what child, 2 years old or otherwise, asks permission before kicking her brother in the head?  What goes on within a child's mind to think, maybe if I ask nicely and smile, she'll say 'yes.'  Granted, this strategy works well when she wants things (particularly when she tries is on Daddy), but still...

No comments:

Post a Comment